6 Achieve universal primary education
Where are we?
Goal is achievable.
The indicator on literacy rate of 15-24 years of age is 99.9%, according to the MDG Progress Report (2005). The rate of progress in the enrolment ratio of primary education was 87% in 1994, but it increased to 88.5% in 2008 (0.6% increase per year). UNDP has expanded interventions under this goal by providing support to bridge the knowledge gap in early learning challenges to enable individuals with disability in the State of Kuwait.
The literacy rate of those aged 15-24 years was 98% in 1993; it increased to 99.97% in 2008. The actual rate of progress towards achieving this target, is 6.5 percent compared to a required rate of annual progress of 4.6 percent. The desired value of the indicator can be achieved.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG2
- Ensure that, by 2015, children everywhere, boys and girls alike, will be able to complete a full course of primary schooling
- Net enrolment ratio in primary education
- Proportion of pupils starting grade 1 who reach last grade of primary
- Literacy rate of 15-24 year-olds, women and men