6 Promote gender equality and empower women
Where are we?
Goal is achievable.
Kuwait was able to achieve the MDG on gender equality in education before the target year of 2015. On 16th of May 2005, the Kuwaiti Parliament extended political rights to Kuwaiti women by amending the election laws allowing for the advancement of this MDG. The result of which ccured in the May 2009 general elections. Four women won seats in the Kuwaiti parliament marking a historic landmark in the political empowerment of women both nationally and regionally.
UNDP's work in Kuwait
Kuwait has become the first gulf country to implement the WRACATI project with support of the UNDP. Kuwait will implement the project as the seventhmore
- View More Stories
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG3
- Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education preferably by 2005, and at all levels by 2015
- Ratios of girls to boys in primary, secondary and tertiary education
- Share of women in wage employment in the non-agricultural sector
- Proportion of seats held by women in national parliament