Support the State Audit Bureau to develop a performance management framework
What is the project about?
A myriad of business challenges face governments and the corporate world at large. Kuwait is no exception. The increasing need to rapidly make accurate and well-informed decisions, create alignment across the organization, focus on action and results, consistently operate and perform in an efficient and effective manner, build effective internal management and oversight practices, seek better ways to measure the health and success of the organization, and attract and retain the right staff in an increasingly competitive environment are among the challenges and dynamics facing public and private sector entities alike.
The Government’s reform agenda recognizes the need for change to face the challenges necessary for success and development. The Government’s Strategic Development Plan addresses this in its fifth strategic objective of developing an effective administrative and oversight capacity within the government:
“This objective seeks to instill and develop mechanisms of proper and effective government administration that promotes sound governance, accountability and business integrity on a social and economic level and reinforces them as core elements for sustained development.”
The State Audit Bureau (SAB) has effectively practiced its role as an oversight body over the entities within the government, providing independent financial and regular performance audit of those entities.
It is envisioned that the Performance Audit function will be significantly increased and strengthened with the establishment of a solid proven performance audit framework based on international leading practices. This will enable a more effective performance audit of various entities within the government emphasizing key performance indicators that monitor different aspects such as; internal operations and controls, governance, transparency and quality of services provided.
However, no clear Key Performance Indicators (KPI) exists. Therefore, there is no clear consistent reporting. The current process of capturing, aggregating, reviewing, and reporting on KPIs is largely manual and thus time consuming, lake of clear standards of data governance and accuracy for reporting, areas of improvement lie in the comprehensiveness and value of reporting, ensuring data quality, improved processes, transparency, governance, reliability and the mechanisms to sustain those improvements.
With the support of UNDP and through the partnership and cooperation with the General Secretariat of the Supreme Council for Planning and Development (GSSCPD), a project to Support the SAB has been endorsed to develop a national performance management framework (NPMF).
SAB seeks to establish and deploy NPMF that aims to increase its effectiveness of monitoring and control of varies governmental entities performance. This will strengthen the institutional governance accountability. The overall outcome of the project is the “Development and piloting of National Performance Management Framework (NPMF) to improve performance management inclusive of development of KPIs to be tested in three key governmental sectors; education, health and oil achieved through the following stages:
I- the international benchmarking and Kuwait government sector SWOT analysis.
Conduct a review of the current SAB and government entity strategic plans and capabilities. Provide analysis on linkages and gaps between the strategic plans/capacities and performance management for the Kuwait Vision 2035 and the Kuwait National Development Plan (KNDP) 2015-16/-2018/2019. Evaluation of international best practices, which could be applied to the Kuwaiti context.
Develop a workplan for the subsequent development process of a responsive Performance Management Framework
II- develop the Performance Management Framework:
NPMF consists of the following elements:
· framed within and related to the institutional structure and strategic vision approach of the Government of Kuwait;
· informative of the role of performance management for results in planning, budgeting and reporting;
· identifies with clear terminology and definitions/principles the quality criteria for good performance indicators;
· outlines, based on a SWOT analysis, the capacity and resources needed to manage and use performance information – including the level of governance, accountability cycle, accountability documents and performance indicators;
· defines roles and responsibilities of key government institutions in performance management framework;
· identifies the information management requirements and transparency for key documentation;
· Applies a balanced score card approach for visualisation of progress and results.
III-KPI Design for Three Sectors Education, Health and Oil.
The development of information flow, data requirements & reporting mechanism. Additionally, the development of KPIs Templates / Scorecards and high level roll out plan for NPMF
IV- capacity building and the development & Delivery of Training.
Conduct a training programme for SAB overall and within key sectors; education, health and oil.
Previous and Expected Results
· Design National Performance Management Framework in detail, including governance model, processes and other enabling elements
· Design Competency development framework for relevant NPMF entities
· Define Sectorial KPIs for the sectors of Education, Health and Oil
· Develop information flow, data requirements & reporting mechanism
· Develop KPIs Templates / Scorecards and high level roll out plan for NPMF
· Based on capability development requirements, develop and implement training material and plan
Who finances this project?
|Government of Kuwait|